Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 3

It's amazing how quickly a stomach flu can come and go.  I felt good enough this morning to go to the gym.  (Don't worry... I disinfected every surface I touched!)  I was going to take an Abs class but didn't think I had the strength for that.  It's only offered on Wednesdays so I'll try again next week.  My core really needs help and all I can think to do are boring ol' crunches.  Hopefully this class will give me lots of new ideas.  Hopefully it won't kill me or have me be the only one who can't do all of the exercises.

Today was a Lower Body Workout.  One thing I've always found interesting about the Body for Life program is that there are no exercises that focus on the inner thighs or outer thighs.  I know other exercises will hit those muscles but not like the Abduction and Adduction machines at the gym do.  Besides, those are my favorite machines for some reason.  So I've added them to the workout plan.

On the other hand, I've never found it necessary to target my calf muscles.  They seem to build strength by virtue of the other exercises and all of the cardio... the treadmill, the stairclimber, etc...  I wonder if it's a man thing.  Maybe men like to work their calf muscles super much.  I tend to leave that muscle group out of the plan.  That decision was confirmed today when I was doing Calf Raises on a small step and I fell off.  Okie dokie... my calves are fine, thanks.  Moving on.

Leg Extensions:                          Reps  Weight  Intensity Level
                                                    10      15lbs.       7
                                                     8       20lbs.       7
                                                     6       25lbs.       8
Leg Press:                                    12      40lbs.       8


Leg Curls (Hate!):                           10      15lbs.       7
                                                      8      20lbs.       8
                                                      6      25lbs.       8
Deadlifts:                                        12     5lbs.        7


Calf Raises (Dangerous!):                 8       3lbs.      7
                                                      8       5lbs.      8
                                                      6       8lbs.      9

Abduction:                                      10       50lbs.      6
                                                       8       60lbs.      7
                                                       6       65lbs.      8
                                                      12      60lbs.      7

Adduction:                                      10       50lbs.      6
                                                       8       60lbs.      7
                                                       6       65lbs.      8
                                                      12      60lbs.      8

Okay, clearly I'm not hitting my high points but this is the first Lower Body Workout of the challenge and I don't want to be in a ton of pain tomorrow.  Once I get accustomed to weight lifting, I'll amp it up.  As it is, I still might not be able to walk tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment