Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 13: The Perils of Not Planning

Today is Saturday and I have good news and bad news.  The good:  I had an all day pro-life conference to attend and needed to leave my house by 9:00am.  Going against my every instinct, I woke up early and went to the gym at 7:30am.  I'm not a morning person, so that was truly revolutionary for me.  Yay me, getting in a workout even though it was early and I had other things to go do!

The bad news:  I meant to bring along healthy foods to the conference but forgot.  They had boxed lunches, which were a fried chicken meal.  In fact, this conference had lots of food available, like cookies and chips.  But I did try to make better-ish choices.  I had one fried chicken breast and not the two that were in the box.  I did have the mashed potatoes and cole slaw but not the biscuit or cookies.  I grabbed an apple, instead.

Dinner was a sloppy-joe sandwich (I took off the top half of the bun) and tater tots.  I know, right?  I'm 40 years old and still eating tater tots.  I'm chalking today up to being a free day, even though I just had my free meal on Thursday.  It could have been better but in the past, I would have done worse.  I haven't been planning out my meals on paper, like the Body for Life journal has you do.  That would undoubtedly help, so I'm going to start doing that. 

Winging it makes me have to make choices when I'm hungry, which is the worst time to be making those sorts of choices.  If I had taken my lunch along, I wouldn't have had to think, "Should I have the cole slaw or does the sauce make it high in calories?  How much damage can one small dish of mashed potatoes do?  Those cookies look good... me want cookies!".

It's best to do my thinking ahead of time and then just follow the plan, regardless of what temptations spring up.  Live and learn!  Ugh, I feel so full.  And guilty.  And dismayed that I'll probably not see 128 for a while.  Thankfully tomorrow is another day and I will learn from my mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment