Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 11: Staying Motivated

I ran into a friend of mine at the gym this morning.  She had just finished her workout and yet seemed dejected.  That's usually when my endorphins are pumping and I'm in love with the world.  It seems that she's having trouble staying motivated.  Boy, do I remember how that feels.  I live in fear of it overtaking me, much like a flu virus.

I've been reading lots of fitness articles, all of the Body for Life books and immersing myself in before and after pictures, hoping to ward off the no-motivation blues.  But that's like pounding down a bunch of Vitamin C and eating chicken soup in the hope of preventing a cold ten weeks down the road.  It might help you in the immediate future but it's not going to be enough to sustain you throughout the season.

How do you get remotivated when the inevitable blahs hit?  What do you do on those days when you just don't feel like doing anything?  I remember years ago pulling into the parking lot of the fitness club and being unwilling to get out of my car.  I just didn't feel like exercising.  I wanted some chocolate cake.  So I decided to listen to my body and went and got some cake, then went home.

The problem is, having wimped out once it's all too easy to do it again.  I've got to figure out a way of not pushing myself into total burnout but not letting myself off the hook too easy.  I want so much to get right back on track if I run into an obstacle or just have a bad day.  That's going to take some self discipline, which is a lot harder and more painful to build than muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment