Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 24: SAD

I remember now why they named it Seasonal Affective Disorder because that's just how I feel... S.A.D.  It's been gray and gloomy since November and it has finally caught up to me.  I've heard that frequent moderately intense exercise works just as well as an anti-depressant.  Well, I'm doing/taking both, which has helped me win the battle... until now.

I am extremely fortunate to be able to get some significant relief by spending the month of February in Florida.  I know that sounds indulgent but it's truly a mental health solution.  Plus, driving down and renting a house inland for four weeks costs the same as flying down and staying at the beach for one.

I'll be bringing a set of free weights along but I won't have access to a gym.  The upside is that I should be able to get my cardio by going for walks/hikes/runs outside.  Exercise plus sunshine should mean good things!

This challenge is keeping me focused on healthy behaviors.  It is very typical for SAD sufferers to binge on carbs and lounge around all day.  But I am still determined to follow the eating plan and go to the gym each day, whether I feel like it or not.  It's nice not to have to think about it and try to decide if I should or shouldn't go.  No, I'm going because it's what I do.  It's also nice not to be feeling guilty as I watch myself gain weight all winter.

I may feel depressed but at least my body is improving!  That's worth ten Prozacs right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment